Saturday, May 12, 2012

Number 5

This is my fifth post, which means my boyfriend will finally write something about my blog on his at wordpress. We made a deal when I started that he would not promote my blog until I've made five posts. He doesn't think I will keep up with this.

So I thought I would share a bit about my summer plans. I feel like my posts need some lightening up. Everything has been about my recent stressors, but I'm starting to settle into my summer now, and there is no more room for stress here! Besides the fact that I still have not found a job for the summer...

I'm staying at my college this summer to take classes. My first class starts this Tuesday and it is a service learning class. It will be five weeks and I will have to do 30 hours of service at some nonprofit organization I have not chosen yet. I will most likely end up at a place called After Mental Illness, as I have volunteered there before and it is related to my major. However, I'd like to find another opportunity because I'm not actually interested in working with the type of mental illness this agency does. I'd prefer an addiction recovery/rehabilitation place, but there are none in town. I'm considering the domestic violence center, though.

My second class will start July 2nd and last five weeks as well. I'll be taking biology everyday for a couple hours a day. I hope it goes well. I've always had a good understanding of biology, but I'm uncertain about having such a condensed class. We'll see how it pans out.

Other than classes and volunteering, I was (and am still) hoping to find a job and be a little more independent this summer. I haven't applied anywhere yet, mostly because I'm not sure what places are actually hiring. I had two places in mind that I thought were, but it doesn't look like they are now. Maybe I'm too late. I just need to go and find out myself sometime.

Also, I may have to work on getting my license. It's a long time coming. Basically, Steven is looking into moving into a house with some friends, and it's possible that it could end up being out of town. That just isn't going to work if he has to drive me everywhere all of the time. So I need to get behind the wheel myself. I'm nervous. I'm not sure it will really happen, but Steven is taking me to renew my permit and we are having some driving lessons. I've got big plans ahead of me!

On the side, I just heard about an author, Malcolm Gladwell, who writes about behavioral psychology. I just went to his site, and they sound like very interesting reads! I would really like to check them out, especially "the Tipping Point," and "Blink." So if anyone has heard of/read him, please let me know what you think! Maybe I can do some sort of book reviews for the summer as well. That would be fun, but I would need suggestions first. What's on your summer reading shelf?

No comments:

Post a Comment