Saturday, February 9, 2013

The Skinny is Back

I stopped blogging because my little blackberry curve was the only device I had to rely on for pictures, and it sucked. I found it wasn't really worth blogging without some better quality photos. Now I have a droid and I feel like my whole life has benefited from this improvement. So I'm giving this another try.

It looked like I'd just use my blog to review the products I received from Influenster. I don't think I'm going to do any catch-up posts on those because it feels irrelevant at this point. I will still try to post my opinions on products I like, or maybe those I hate, in the future because it was fun while it lasted. (Also because my blog got the most traffic on those kinds of posts). Sometime soon I will post my thoughts on my first-time purchases from Lush and Fortune Cookie Soap.

So what's the real skinny these days? I'm working hard at working out. I actually believe I'm going to stick to it this time. I've always "liked" exercise, but not enough to make it a regular part of my life... Welcome, Cassey Ho. You've heard of blogilates, right? I had Cassey's POP Pilates: Bikini Booty workout bookmarked since last May and I'm not even sure I ever did it before recently. But, some switch went off in my mind over the course of my month-long Christmas break at home, and now I am hooked.

Last semester was stressful. Up until that point things had been a breeze. I was just living and loving life. Then, I took ten giant leaps back in the progess I'd made adopting a relaxed, carefree attitude. I wasn't taking care of myself-- my sleep shedule was shot (more than normal), I ate to make myself feel good, I was almost completely sedentary. It was making me sick. When I was home for break, I was bored enough to turn to exercise.

I kept up with Cassey's JaNEWary workout calendar until I came back to school. When I got here, I just  didn't know how to fit working out into my school life. I didn't exercise for only two short weeks, but right away I was noticing the negative changes. I was already starting to stress out again and it was the beginning of the semester. I was feeling sick every day. My skin was breaking out again with a vengeance. I felt very badly about myself. While I was home, I would wake up and work out every day for at least an hour. I woke up looking forward to the burn. My mood was lifted. My skin cleared. I was feeling more confident than I had in months. I felt so good and stronger day to day. I needed to get back to that.

At least home cooked is better than fast food!
It's only been a couple weeks, but I've been very consistently following Cassey's workout calendar, adjusted to my lifestyle. I go to the gym Monday nights and Thursday mornings and run 2 miles/30 minutes at different speeds and inclines. I've been eating cleaner, choosing raw veggies over the fries or chips I looked forward to every lunch. Already I am feeling so much better again. My skin has cleared right back up since I've been consistent in working out too, so I am convinced of the correlation. That alone is a positive enough result to keep me going. I've also noticed some tiny muscles forming on my string bean arms and I'm hoping to see more definition all over as I keep going. It's so exciting!
Back from the gym, Turtle Power!

This time, I fully intend on exercise becoming a regular part of my life. As much as it's helping me build confidence and strength, I can't see going back to my entirely inactive, unhealthy habits. I encourage you guys to start loving exercise too. I know a lot of us "like" it enough to do it once in a while, but we don't stick to it or push hard enough to gain from it. I really think when you put a little extra effort into it, you see the benefits immediately. Then, you'll be hooked too. If you're just beginning like me, definitely follow blogilates and download Cassey's workout calendar. She makes it a lot of fun and you'll look forward to doing her videos each day. Good luck making your necessary changes to live more happily! Care enough to care for yourself! :)

7 comments:

  1. Got to be careful and keep doing new workouts all the time though or it's almost like you develop a tolerance to the positive feeling you gain from it and then you get sick of putting in the effort to workout and you stop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True! That's definitely something I'm nervous about. I really like following the blogilates calendars right now because it seems to switch up every day, so I'm not doing the same sets of crunches and squats and getting bored like I used to. I think as far as the running goes, as long as I am always working on increasing endurance it won't get too mundane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice, I hope it works out for you. When I was in my teens I used to work out all the time for about 2 years and I became very fit, but then I developed a tolerance to the confidence boosting aspect of it because I got tired of switching work outs, I was still in high school, and I still got made fun of no matter what I did. After that I decided that it wasn't helping anything and I did other things to replace it. Now I'm 20 and I just recently started working out again, mainly just to feel better. I need to learn to switch up the workouts myself so I can keep going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In high school I would always go through these phases of being really into working out for a couple months at a time, usually the summer, then quitting. I was never consistent about it. I don't think I realized how much exercise benefited my life then. Things are a lot different now that I'm in college and I have to be more conscious about the choices I'm making. I really hope the confidence boost doesn't wear off too soon! As I keep going I will be adding in different kinds of workouts, but for now blogilates makes it so easy for me to have a schedule already set up waiting to complete every day. That's what I'm really liking as a beginner.

      Delete
  4. Hey guy ! Really nice to read you, you sounds so motivated ! I'm definitely in the same mood as you are, and I just discovered Cassey's blog and workout, I've done some of them, and that was great ! I feel already heathier ! ;)
    And maybe you can help me with something : i'd like to follow her february calendar, but I just dont get it : where are the videos we have to do ?! Hoping you'll help me with that ! :)
    PS : sorry for the mistakes, I'm not a native english speaker ! ^^
    Carole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carole! Thanks for reading. If you've already downloaded the calendar, each day has a list of videos to complete. For instance, Monday focuses on abs & core. The first video that day is Fat Melting Routine. All you have to do is go to youtube, search the video listed, and it should come right up! If you haven't downloaded it, all you have to do is subscribe to the blogilates newsletter & Cassey will send you a password to download the new calendar each month. Good luck!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer me ! Good luck to you too on the road to skinny ! ;)
      Carole.

      Delete